Monday, March 5, 2012

Joy of Learning vs what we actually do

Today I was thinking about some sorting algo, and it reminded me of my college days-when the teacher was trying to tell us difference between sorting algos, pros and cons of each. But at that time my focus was more on understanding it enough to clear the next exam. Never paid much attention to actual implications.
And its just not that one class or one year, this behavior is consistent through an average person's school life.
Now I read books and articles on Wikipedia for the joy of it. I work on mathematical problems to kill time. But not when that was what I was supposed to do. It was a burden back then.

I am not sure who is responsible for this problem. Maybe its the immaturity of kids when they are in school, never actually understanding the value of knowledge. It could be the constant pressure of being compared to 'X Aunty ki beti, or Y Uncle ka beta' which pushes  them to either take short cuts or to not giving a damn. Or is it rote teaching methods of most schools.

I am not blaming teachers here. In my school and college life, I had the opportunity of learning from some good teachers and I am thankful for that. But even they are under pressure of making kids ready for exams. Making sure they are fit enough to be accepted in some decent college.
And it continues to college. There the pressure is about landing with a decent job.

I just wish I had a little more independence, more choices to pick from. Or a little maturity to enjoy what I was doing.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back and attend those classes again. Just for learning, just for fun.

No comments: